Man arrested after shots fired inside Shasta Lake home

CITY OF SHASTA LAKE — A man who was recently arrested and convicted for DUI and had a warrant for his arrest after failing to complete his court-ordered work days with the Sheriff’s Office as a result of his DUI conviction was arrested again after a violent handgun and baseball bat related incident Thanksgiving evening.

According to officials the suspect, later identified as 54-year-old, Kenneth George Walsh, of Shasta Lake, was booked into jail after allegedly discharging a firearm inside his home before trying to attack responding deputies with a metal baseball bat at a private residence on the 4300 block of Meade St., Thursday evening, Nov. 28.


Wanting to die “in a blaze of glory,” armed man forces Shasta College lock-down

UPDATE: Anderson pair fatally ejected when car careens off highway ID’d

Shasta Lake search warrant uncovers meth, heroin

Woman shot during botched Redding drug deal

Deputies with the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, City of Shasta Lake Division, were dispatched to the home shortly after 7 p.m., after receiving reports of an intoxicated man who witnesses say discharged a firearm inside his residence, Shasta County Sheriff’s Sgt. Scoma reported after the violent encounter and arrest. Two other people were inside the residence when Walsh reportedly began firing his handgun.

When deputies arrived the residence they spotted Walsh moving around inside the home, but he would not comply with orders to exit the residence, explained Scoma; who said deputies began hailing the man to exit his home and attempted to de-escalate the situation by establishing dialogue with him.

Deputies arrested Kenneth Walsh after they say the allegedly intoxicated man discharged a handgun inside his home before trying to attack responding deputies with a metal baseball bat. SCSO photo

“Walsh eventually opened the front door to the residence but would not leave the threshold,” Scoma continued. “Walsh refused to comply with orders to show his hands and kept his right hand concealed inside the threshold of the door.”

Based on Walsh’s actions and erratic behavior deputies were unsure if the intoxicated man was still in possession of the firearm he had reportedly discharged inside his home.

Despite their efforts to talk him down and calm him, Walsh continued to be uncooperative and aggressive toward the officials and began threatening the deputies’ safety – telling them, “they would regret not leaving the residence,” according to the Sgt.

At one point as the standoff continued, Walsh exited the residence onto the front porch, where deputies saw he appeared unarmed and attempted to detain him, at which time Walsh retreated back into the home.

“Deputies seized this opportunity to pursue Walsh and resolve the contact peacefully,” following the volatile man into the residence, said Scoma.

However, once back inside his home Walsh armed himself with a metal baseball bat and raised the weapon above his head in a threatening manner.

According to Scoma, deputies were close enough to immediately engage Walsh “with physical contact and attempted to detain him,” but Walsh continued to resist deputies, leading to a violent confrontation inside the man’s home.

Deputies eventually deployed a less-lethal Taser device to immobilize Walsh and give officials time to handcuff and detain him.

After Walsh was safely detained, deputies searched his home and found both live rounds and expended ammunition casings from when the intoxicated man had been firing his handgun inside the residence. However, deputies were not able to locate the handgun Walsh had allegedly fired inside the home.

Based on their investigation, deputies arrested Walsh and he was later booked into Shasta county Jail in Redding on suspicion of resisting arrest with violence and brandishing a firearm in a threatening manner, as well as his misdemeanor warrant.

Deputies are continuing their investigation and search for the missing handgun and additional charges may be filed
with the Shasta County District Attorney’s Office after the conclusion of the follow up investigation.

Anyone with information about this investigation or who knows the whereabouts of the handgun that deputies were not able to locate is encouraged to contact Shasta County Sheriff’s Office at (530) 245-6025. Callers can refer to incident file number 19S043652 and can remain anonymous.

This article sponsored by:

For more information about Junior’s Westside Auto Sales visit them on Facebook or online.

Contact the writer:

Trevor Montgomery, 48, moved in 2017 to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes or has written for several other news organizations; including Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News, (the now defunct) Valley Chronicle, Anza Valley Outlook, and Hemet & San Jacinto Chronicle; as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County and Mountain Echo in Shasta County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 29 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 16 grandchildren.


Leave a Reply