Hours-long Redding standoff ends with arrest of wanted felon

REDDING — An hours-long barricaded standoff in Redding that began as an attempted probation search ended peacefully after a man was taken into custody late Wednesday evening, June 26. The standoff forced the evacuation of numerous homes surrounding the residence where the suspect was holed up and caused the closure of several surrounding roads, including Miller St, Harrison Ave., Cedars Rd., and others in the immediate area.

According to officials, the man who was arrested at the end of the seven hour incident was wanted on four felony warrants, “has an extensive criminal background with severe violence,” and has previously been listed as one of Shasta County’s “Most Wanted” criminals. He has also often been listed by area law enforcement agencies as “armed and dangerous.”


Firefighters knock down Cottonwood blaze

Wanted parolee arrested after Redding foot pursuit

Crash sends logs raining down onto I-5, crushing pickup

Officers assigned to Redding PD’s Neighborhood Police Unit went to a residence on Miller St., between Harrison Ave. and Cedars Rd., around 4:15 p.m., to conduct a probation search and to make contact with 51-year-old Redding resident, Marty Lee Winn, Redding Police Lt. Pete Brindley later explained in a series of update videos filmed from the scene of the standoff and shared to social media.

According to Brindley, Winn has countless previous arrests in Redding, was wanted for four outstanding felony warrants, and “has an extensive criminal background with severe violence.” He also has prior convictions for assault with a deadly weapon; making terrorist threats; resisting arrest with violence; assault and battery; possession of stolen property; and maintaining his residence for the possession, use, and sales of illegal drugs; as well as numerous parole violations.

A Redding PD SWAT member walks Marty Winn to a waiting patrol vehicle after he was arrested at the end of a seven-hour long barricaded standoff. Redding PD photo

When officers arrived at the Miller St. address Winn was believed to be staying at, they found the wanted man in the home’s back yard.

Officers made contact with Winn and ordered him to surrender, but he refused to comply and fled into the home, where he barricaded himself and refused to come out.

Officers at the scene soon learned a family was inside the home with Winn and they eventually managed to convince the others to exit the residence.

“We’ve been able to contact the other residents inside the house and evacuate them, as well as several of the houses surrounding the residence,” Brindley explained as the tense incident was continuing.

Based on Winn’s extensive and violent background as well as his numerous felony arrests, Redding PD’s SWAT Team and other resources were requested to the scene. SWAT members, along with hostage negotiators, a mobile command center, and the Shasta County Bomb Team, soon arrived in the area.

At around 7:45 p.m., as the standoff was continuing, officials began deploying chemical agents into the residence, in an attempt to get Winn to exit the home.

After several hours of negotiations Winn was taken into custody around 11:15 p.m., according to Brindley, who later thanked area residents for the patience and understanding during the lengthy ordeal.

“We really appreciate (area residents) working with us to bring this to a safe resolution,” Brindley said in part.

Winn was later booked into Shasta County Jail in Redding for his warrants as well as other, unspecified charges related to the hours-long standoff.

Contact the writer: trevor.rcns@gmail.com

Trevor Montgomery, 47, moved last year to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes for several other news organizations; including Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News, The Valley Chronicle, and Anza Valley Outlook; as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County and Mountain Echo in Shasta County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 28 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 15 – but soon to be 16 – grandchildren.


Leave a Reply