Redding motorcyclist ID’d after fiery 140 mph crash into pickup

REDDING — Officials have cited excessive speed as a primary contributing factor in a deadly crash after a motorcyclist plowed into the back of a pickup truck in Redding, Thursday evening, June 13. The fatal accident happened on Highway 273 at Kenyon Dr., Redding Police Sgt. Sam Llamas later reported.

Since the deadly crash, several witnesses have come forward, claiming the deceased motorcyclist – who had owned his powerful, 1300cc Suzuki for less than a week – was traveling between 130 to 150 mph when his motorcycle smashed into the other vehicle and burst into flames.


Death investigation underway after body found inside Hat Creek home

Woman arrested after robbing Burney gas station, slashing employee

Bella Vista man reports finding suicide victim – then fatally shoots self

Shasta County Coroner Officials today identified Brandon Englund, 29, of Redding, as the motorcyclist who was killed in last night’s accident. Redding PD Sgt. Sam Llamas had previously reported that although Englund was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, due in part to the man’s excessive speed, he was fatally injured and died at the scene of the fiery accident.

Redding police officers were dispatched to the traffic collision shortly after 10 p.m., after receiving reports of an accident involving a motorcycle and truck. 911 callers described the involved vehicles as a 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck and told SHASCOM emergency dispatchers that the motorcycle had burst into flames after the tremendous impact.

Officials say high speed and reckless riding were to blame for last night’s fiery crash between a motorcycle and pickup truck in Redding. Xena Burns photo

Based on evidence at the scene and witness statements, investigating officers determined Englund was southbound on Highway 273 “at speeds over 100 mph” when it plowed into the back of the Dodge, according to Llamas.

During their investigation, officers determined the driver of the truck was wearing his seat belt and not under the influence of alcohol or drugs when the collision occurred. It is not yet known if the motorcyclist was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the crash.

Several witnesses have since come forward, describing that the motorcyclist killed in the collision was traveling at extremely high speed when the accident occurred.

“Dude was going like 130-150 mph when he hit the back of the truck and basically exploded,” area resident Andrew Foster later said of the deadly crash. Foster also posted video to social media that showed the burning and fully engulfed motorcycle before the arrival of emergency personnel.

Within hours of the crash Broc Kordell, who said he also witnessed the collision, wrote, “He was going extremely fast – 140s plus,” when he slammed into the large pickup and “immediately caught fire.”

“He hit so hard, going so fast, he lifted a full-size long-bed (pickup) off the ground,” Kordell described, saying the crash was the “worst thing” he had ever witnessed.

Kordell also said that after the collision, the group of motorcyclists Englund had been riding with just before the crash fled the area, with all but one other rider leaving their dying companion behind.

Since last night’s crash, several people have come forward claiming the deceased motorcyclist was traveling between 130-150 mph when his powerful Hayabusa slammed into the other vehicle. Andrew Foster video screenshot

According to his Facebook account, Englund had only owned the powerful Hayabusa for less than a week when the fatal collision occurred. The Hayabusa has long been considered one of the fastest production bikes in history, and is capable of hitting speeds well in excess of 200 miles per hour.

A June 7 Facebook post shared by Englund indicated he planned on purchasing the copper-colored Hayabusa the following day and that the motorcycle enthusiast was well aware of the dangers associated with the motorcycle that many riders considered far too powerful and difficult to manage for average riders.

“If one day speed kills me, don’t cry cuz I was smiling,” Englund wrote. “Gonna be crazy (as f…) wish me luck LMAO.”

While officials worked at the scene, they called for the temporary closure of southbound Highway 273, between Breslauer Way and South Bonnyview Rd. The roadway was re-opened about four hours later.

Redding PD’s collision investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the accident is encouraged to contact Redding Police Department at (530) 225-4200. Callers can refer to incident file number 19R037394 and can remain anonymous.

Contact the writer:

Trevor Montgomery, 47, moved last year to the Intermountain area of Shasta County from Riverside County and runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes for several other news organizations; including Riverside County based newspapers, Valley News, The Valley Chronicle, and Anza Valley Outlook; as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County and Mountain Echo in Shasta County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back, and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident. (Click here to see segment of Discovery Channel documentary of Trevor’s accident.)

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations; including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center, and Lake Elsinore Station; along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team, and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 28 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and his “fluid family” includes 13 children and 15 – but soon to be 16 – grandchildren.


Leave a Reply