UPDATED: Officials identify teen victims killed in 2-vehicle, DUI-related wreck

UPDATED: Saturday, Nov. 11, 10:57 p.m.

REDDING — Officials have identified two teens who died in a two-vehicle wreck that injured four others, Friday, Nov. 3. A Redding resident suspected of driving under the influence was arrested after the deadly collision that happened at the intersection of Churn Creek Road and Hartnell Avenue in Redding.

Shasta County Chief Deputy Coroner Lieutenant Randall identified 19-year-old, Erica Young, of Hoopa and 18-year-old, Wa-Rec Lacy Mae Jackson, of Redding, as the two victims killed when an alleged drunk driver plowed into the back of a vehicle they were stopped at a red light in.

The early morning accident happened just after 12:30 a.m.

In addition to the two victims killed in the collision, three other passengers from the victim’s vehicle were hospitalized with injuries ranging from a broken jaw and complaints of pain to other injuries that officials described as moderate.

The alleged drunk driver, who officials have said caused the accident, also sustained minor injuries in the crash.

Kendra Andersen-Schwegerl was arrested after she plowed into the back of a vehicle, killing two and injuring three others.

Kendra Andersen-Schwegerl, 25, of Redding, was treated and released from an area hospital before she was arrested and later booked into the Shasta County Jail in Redding.

She was booked on suspicion of two counts of vehicular manslaughter, DUI resulting in injury and DUI with a blood alcohol level above .08%, Redding Police Corporal W. Williams explained after the deadly crash.

Andersen-Schwegerl was later released from custody after posting $50,000 bail.

Traffic officers who investigated the cause of the fatal wreck determined Andersen-Schwegerl was driving above the posted speed limit and passing other vehicles just before her Ford Freestyle smashed into the rear end of a Toyota Corolla with five occupants. Two of those occupants, Young and Jackson, succumbed to their injuries and died at the scene.

The collision is being investigated by the Redding Police Department’s Traffic Unit and a DUI specialist.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation or who witnessed the deadly crash and has not provided a statement to officials is asked to contact the Redding Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (530) 225-4200. Callers can refer to incident file number 17-81472 and can remain anonymous.


ORIGINAL STORY: Two killed, 4 injured in suspected DUI-related crash

REDDING — Officials arrested a Redding woman they allege was speeding and driving under the influence when she plowed into a car stopped at a red light, Friday, Nov. 3. The deadly, early morning wreck happened at the intersection of Churn Creek Road and Hartnell Avenue in Redding.

After an investigation, officers arrested Kendra Andersen-Schwegerl, 25, of Redding. She was later booked into the Shasta County Jail in Redding on suspicion of two counts of vehicular manslaughter, DUI resulting in injury, and DUI with a blood alcohol level above .08%, Redding Police Corporal W. Williams explained after the deadly crash.

City of Redding Police and Fire officials responded to the scene of the crash about 12:35 a.m., after SHASCOM emergency dispatchers received “numerous calls” from witnesses reporting a serious traffic collision at the intersection.

Emergency first responders arrived within minutes and found two vehicles near the intersection. Both vehicles, described as a Ford Freestyle and Toyota Corolla, had sustained major damage and vehicle parts and debris were strewn across all lanes of traffic on Churn Creek Road.

Firefighters and paramedics quickly determined there were five occupants in the Toyota and one injured occupant in the Ford. Two of the five occupants from the Toyota, including the driver, had sustained major trauma in the accident and succumbed to their injuries. Both were pronounced deceased at the scene.

Officials have not released the names of the two victims pending notification of their families.

While paramedics evaluated and treated the surviving three victims from the Toyota as well as the woman who caused the accident, officers investigated the circumstances that led to the fatal collision.

To ensure the safety of fire and police officials working at the scene, officers called for the temporary closure of the entire intersection and both streets leading to it. The intersection remained closed for about five hours while the investigation was conducted.

The three remaining passengers of the Toyota were eventually transported to area hospitals for treatment.

According to Williams, Ralph Joseph, 19, of Hoopa, had injuries to his left arm and left leg and was later released from the hospital. Daisy Reece, 18 of Redding, complained of pain to her head and she was later released from the hospital. Clifford Bailey, 19, also of Redding, suffered a broken jaw and remains hospitalized.

Andersen-Schwegerl was the sole occupant of the Ford and she sustained minor injuries in the collision.

According to Williams, officers at the scene observed that she appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and she had open alcohol containers inside her vehicle. She was eventually transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Due to the severity of the collision, traffic officers and a DUI specialist were summoned to the scene and assumed the investigation.

During their initial investigation traffic officers determined the Ford had smashed into the rear of the Toyota, sending both vehicles careening through the intersection.

Traffic officers interviewed witnesses at the scene including one motorist who told officials that Andersen-Schwegerl had been traveling southbound at a high rate of speed on Churn Creek Road towards Hartnell Avenue.

According to the witness, Andersen-Schwegerl passed them “in excess of the posted 35 mph zone,” said Williams. “Andersen-Schwegerl was straddling the two south bound lanes of travel when she collided with the driver’s side rear of the Toyota which was stopped for the red light.”

While traffic officers continued their investigation at the scene of the fatal wreck, Redding PD DUI Specialist Officer Provencio responded to the hospital treating Andersen-Schwegerl to interview her and conduct an initial DUI investigation.

While interviewing Andersen-Schwegerl, Provencio determined she was under the influence of alcohol and a preliminary alcohol screening device indicated she had a blood alcohol level higher than .08%, the California legal limit for an adult to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Based on his investigation Provencio arrested Andersen-Schwegerl.

Andersen-Schwegerl consented to a blood draw to determine her level of intoxication, according to Williams. The blood was submitted to the California Department of Justice for analysis.

Officials did not specify what Andersen-Schwegerl’s alcohol level was; however, the results will be available after the DOJ’s analysis has been completed.

After Andersen-Schwegerl was released from the hospital she was transported to Redding PD’s Investigations Division where she admitted she had been drinking before the deadly collision. According to Williams, Anderson-Schwegerl also admitted knowing that driving while intoxicated was dangerous.

An online jail records search conducted the day after Andersen-Schwegerl’s arrest revealed she remained in custody and was being held on $50,000 bail.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation or who witnessed the deadly crash and has not provided a statement to officials is asked to contact the Redding Police Department’s Traffic Unit at (530) 225-4200. Callers can refer to incident file number 17-81472 and can remain anonymous.


Contact the writer: trevor.rcns@gmail.com

trevor main

Trevor Montgomery, who recently moved from Riverside County to Shasta County, runs Riverside County News Source and Shasta County News Source. Additionally, he writes for Riverside County based newspapers Valley News, The Valley Chronicle and Anza Valley Outlook as well as Bonsall/Fallbrook Village News in San Diego County.

Trevor spent 10 years in the U.S. Army as an Orthopedic Specialist before joining the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in 1998. He was medically retired after losing his leg, breaking his back and suffering both spinal cord and brain injuries in an off-duty accident.

During his time with the sheriff’s department, Trevor worked at several different stations, including Robert Presley Detention Center, Southwest Station in Temecula, Hemet/Valle Vista Station, Ben Clark Public Safety Training Center and Lake Elsinore Station, along with other locations.

Trevor’s assignments included Corrections, Patrol, DUI Enforcement, Boat and Personal Water-Craft based Lake Patrol, Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement, Problem Oriented Policing Team and Personnel/Background Investigations. He finished his career while working as a Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Investigator and was a court-designated expert in child abuse and child sex-related crimes.

Trevor has been married for more than 27 years and was a foster parent to more than 60 children over 13 years. He is now an adoptive parent and has 13 children and 14 grandchildren.

Leave a Reply