REDDING: Deputies investigating apparent murder-suicide, officials confirm

REDDING – Investigators from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit are investigating an apparent murder-suicide that occurred on Wednesday, Mar. 09, according to Shasta County Sheriff Sergeant Brian Jackson.

The investigation began at 9:43 p.m., when deputies from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a reported domestic violence incident in progress, occurring at 20096 Sugar Plum Way, in an unincorporated area of Redding.

A family member of Rosanna Baker, 36, called 911 to report they had received a frantic telephone call from Rosanna. According to the family member who called 911, Rosanna claimed to her relative that her husband, later identified as Timothy Baker, 38, was pointing a firearm at her while threatening to kill her.

Shasta County Sheriff’s Deputies rushed to the residence, arriving within 10 minutes of the initially dispatched call. Deputies attempted to contact anyone from inside the residence using a public address system, however there was no response from anybody inside. Deputies continued to attempt to make contact with anyone from inside the residence for several tense minutes.

While on scene attempting to make contact, deputies reportedly heard “the faint crying of a young child coming from inside the residence,” Jackson said about the incident and subsequent investigation.

Based on the reported circumstances and the exigency of potential harm to a child inside the residence, deputies made entry into the home through an unlocked front door. Once inside the residence, deputies quickly located a 2-year-old juvenile male behind a baby gate in a bedroom on the south end of the residence. The toddler was reportedly upset, however was not injured, according to Jackson.

After safely evacuating the toddler from inside the residence, deputies continued searching through the home.

As deputies entered the master bedroom on the north side of the residence, they located Rosanna and Timothy Baker. Both appeared to be suffering from fatal gunshot wounds.

“Rosanna was lying on her back on the bed, with bleeding to her forehead from an apparent gunshot wound,” Jackson said. “Timothy was found lying on his back, on the floor near the foot of the bed, with severe bleeding to his head due to an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound under his chin.”

“Timothy’s body had been discovered lying in front of the closed bedroom door…and bodily force had to be used to open the doorway,” Jackson said. “Lying next to Timothy was a 22. Caliber, bolt action rifle that had a spent casing in the chamber and additional live rounds in the attached magazine.”

Explaining the scene and evidence documented at the scene, Jackson said, “The condition of (Timothy’s) wound indicated it was a close-contact type wound.”

Both Rosanna and Timothy were declared deceased at the scene.

The Shasta County Sheriff’s Major Crimes Unit responded and assisted with the investigation. Investigators and crime scene personnel could be seen at the residence working throughout the evening, as they processed the crime scene and recovered evidence related to the fatal, double shooting incident.

Investigators could also be seen at the residence speaking with relatives and friends of the couple. During their interviews and investigation, deputies and investigators learned there had been allegations of ongoing domestic violence related incidents between the couple, that had never been reported to law enforcement.

Following the department’s investigation and the coroner’s initial examination, Jackson stated, “Based upon the initial crime scene investigation, it appears Timothy shot Rosanna at least one time prior to shooting himself in a murder-suicide incident.”

Jackson continued, “It should be noted that based upon the condition of the crime scene, the master bedroom door being closed and blood evidence inside the master bedroom, detectives firmly believe the toddler did not witness the shooting.” The couple’s child was later released to family members who had rushed to the residence after they learned about the fatal incident.

This is an active and ongoing investigation, as sheriff’s officials continue to follow up various, unspecified leads in an attempt to determine what occurred in the days, weeks and months leading up to this shooting.

The Major Crimes Unit is asking anyone with information about this investigation or what may have led to the shooting to contact detectives at (530) 245-6135. Callers can refer to incident file number 16-8641 and can remain anonymous. Anyone with information can also contact the Major Crimes Unit at


Contact the writer:

trevor main


Leave a Reply